Our Real Teens Read Book Club is getting ready to kick off a new semester.
The teens read one or two titles per month along with poems and short stories, then we get together for a literature discussion meeting. The teens learn the historical background and use literary analysis to delve deeper into the readings.
We have a hands-on activity for the teens to do after our discussion, and this semester we will incorporate writing assignments to begin prepping them for SAT and college essays. We also meet for a field trip to accompany the books each month; sometimes we watch the movie version. Our field trips are a vital part of the group as they reinforce the things we learn, as well as exposing the kids to living history.
The more we read, the more the teens are building connections to the literature and seeing the way the themes intersect. This is a vital part of building higher order thinking skills and preparing them for college.
Real Teens Read 2014 Book List
- The Great Gilly Hopkins by Katherine Paterson and Pictures of Hollis Woods by Patricia Reilly Giff
- The Odyssey or The Children’s Homer, and we are going to see a live performance of it as well!
- Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein
- The Book Thief by Markus Zusak
- Breaking Stalin’s Nose by Eugene Yelchin and One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich by Alexander Solzhenitsyn
Stay tuned to see what Real Teens Read does each month to accompany these great books! You can find our other Real Teens Read articles in the sidebar categories.