The Best America Books for Kids
In our homeschool, we seek out real life and hands on experiences for learning as often as possible. Our boys had a wonderful opportunity to meet a World War II veteran who is also a prolific artist, and we were honored to spend some time with him and learn more about his life. Our ‘Greatest Generation’ has so much to teach us, and for the boys to meet and get to know an example of living history was a priceless experience.
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
We have a book called Offerings at the Wall: Artifacts from the Vietnam Veterans Memorial Collectionthat we have had signed by veterans from five different wars, including one from WWI. It has become a cherished artifact that each veteran who shares his experience with us has contributed his or her signature.
Learning about our great country is a never-ending adventure, and in addition to opportunities for living history, we have a shelf of books we enjoy reading together to discover more. Below, you’ll find some of our favorites. We’d love to know what books you would add to our list, so be sure to share with us in the comments. While you’re here, link up any of your family-friendly posts so we can visit you and see what you’re up to!
As always, Happy Reading! 🙂
Learning About America Through Literature
Our favorite books about America
- My America: A Poetry Atlas of the United States
- Go, Go America: 50 States of Fun
- United States Coloring Book (Dover History Coloring Book)
- State Birds and Flowers Coloring Book
- The Legend of the Indian Paintbrush
- The First Strawberries (Picture Puffins)
- The Very First Americans (All Aboard Books)
- The 50 States: Explore the U.S.A with 50 fact-filled maps!
- Fast Facts About the 50 States: Plus Puerto Rico and Washington, D.C.
- The Train of States
- The Erie Canal
- Give Me Liberty: The Story of the Declaration of Independence
- A More Perfect Union: The Story of Our Constitution
- Minn of the Mississippi
- Grandfather’s Journey
- How to Make an Apple Pie and See the World (Dragonfly Books)
- American Tall Tales
- A Pioneer Sampler: The Daily Life of a Pioneer Family in 1840
- Diary of an Early American Boy
- The Landing of the Pilgrims (Landmark Books)
- I, Too, Am America
- America the Beautiful: A Pop-up Book