Homemade Peppermint Bark
Peppermint bark is a favorite delicious holiday treat! Unfortunately, a certain retailer thinks it’s worth a fortune! We have a simple recipe that the kids can help make, and even though we won’t have the cute designer tin, the end result is yummy.
- 1 bag dark chocolate chips
- 1 bag white chocolate chips
- 1 tsp. peppermint extract
- Crushed peppermint candy (use all those broken candy canes)
- Preheat the oven to 300 degrees and line a 9 by 11 casserole dish with parchment paper coated with cooking spray (leave ends of parchment hanging over the ends of the dish).
- Pour chocolate chips into prepared dish and turn oven down to 250 degrees. Heat chocolate chips for about 5 minutes, but check halfway and remove as soon as they are melted.
- Smooth top with rubber spatula, then put in refrigerator for about 20 minutes or until set.
- Melt white chocolate chips in double boiler or in a bowl in the microwave.
- Remove from heat, add peppermint extract, and stir until smooth.
- Pour over cooled chocolate and smooth with spatula.
- Sprinkle with crushed peppermint candy (put some candy canes in a zipper bag and whack them with a rolling pin) and chill in fridge for another 20 minutes or until set.
- Remove from dish by lifting parchment paper ends. Place another piece of parchment on top and break candy into pieces by snapping it with your hands or whacking it on the counter. It’s good!