We’re participating in the Great American Postcard Swap with other homeschool families, sending out postcards all over the country, and hopefully receiving 50 in all!
Some facts about Louisiana:
- The Louisiana Tourism site has tons of stuff–Louisiana should be called the festival state, as it hosts celebrations for everything from jazz,cotton, shrimp, and gumbo to sugarcane and crawfish!
- Food and music go hand-in-hand in Louisiana. We listened to some chank-a-chank here, since we aren’t able to go to Mulate’s in person right now. My sister-in-law, who has Cajun roots, has a cousin who is in a chank-a-chank band!
- We learned some Cajun history and printed out this unit study.
- The movie Belizaire the Cajun taught us a great deal more about Cajun history:
- For my younger state fact learners, Thacher Hurd’s Mama Don’t Allow is a fun romp through the swamp with an animal band-lively illustrations provide inspiration for some coloring fun. Crank up some jazz and pull out the pastels!
Laisez les bons temps rouler!
(Let the good times roll!)
We’re participating in the Great American Postcard Swap!