We’re participating in the Great American Postcard Swap with other homeschool families, sending out postcards all over the country, and hopefully receiving 50 in all!
Some facts about California:
- California is the Golden State
- The home of the only mobile national monument, the cable car, and home to the highest point in the continental United States (Mount Whitney, 14,491 feet above sea level) and the lowest point (Death Valley, 282 below sea level!)
- The “uniform” for gold prospectors, blue jeans, were invented in California in 1853 by Levi Strauss–and we are so happy they were invented 🙂
Books and Activities:
- I love the Cornerstones of Freedom books — we have several we have accumulated, and they are a nice supplement to history studies. The photographs and illustrations are so good. The California Gold Rush (Cornerstones of Freedom) is perfect for learning more about the history of California. It also includes a glossary and timeline, making it quite kid-friendly.
- Here is a link to all the California state symbols.
- Explore more about the California Gold Rush, this site is loaded with resources, including lessons plans and a virtual tour.
We’re participating in the Great American Postcard Swap!