Welcome to our homeschool room!
We have the luxury of a bonus room upstairs in our home, which has been designated as our homeschool room. After six years of homeschooling in our tiny old house, having to share the kitchen table for school and meals and store everything in the pantry, it is so nice to have a designated room for all of our “school” stuff.
The best thing ever? Not having to clear off the table for meals. And bookcases. Lots of them! Our homeschool room does not have a closet, so having bookcases all around the walls helps keep most of the clutter under control. But with three boys, there is always stuff everywhere.
Embracing the lightbulb moments
Our room is such a special place for learning, discovering, playing, and embracing the lightbulb moments every day. We spend a lot of time up there together, and it has become a place of many wonderful memories being made.
Would you like a tour of our homeschool room?
Some details about our homeschool room
- We lined the walls with bookcases from Target, and all of our books are somewhat organized by category.
- We usually sit at the table for schoolwork, but when the weather is nice, we take it outside to the back porch.
- Big brother has his own desk this year as he is doing more independent work.
- Our schoolroom is often a playroom, and my youngest spends time in his kitchen corner while the older brothers need my attention with schoolwork.
- We replaced the regular overhead lights with florescents for better lighting when we read.
- There is one big window that gives us good natural light, but it lets in a ton of heat in the summer. By positioning the fan in front of the a/c vent, the temperature is comfortable most days. July is the worst for the heat upstairs, but that is the month we usually take time off from school.
Reality check: These photos were taken on a good day! We try to keep the clutter under control, but the floor is
often usually strewn with Legos or Star Wars guys or blocks…