- “Fire and Ice” and “The Road Not Taken” by Robert Frost
- “The Soldier” by Rupert Brooks
- “The End of the World” by Archibald MacLeish
- “Anthem for Doomed Youth” by Wilfred Owen
- “The Unknown Citizen” by W. H. Auden
- “Warning” by Jenny Joseph
Our community has an American Legion War Museum, and we were privileged to arrange a private tour. The teens (and their younger siblings) were able to see and touch real artifacts, and best of all, they were able to meet with real live heroes/war veterans.
These gentlemen shared stories about their experiences with the teens. These first-person oral histories bring history alive, and the teens will never forget them.
Enrichment activities like field trips and movies are great ways to reinforce literature for teens. Hands-on learning at its best!